Our Charge: Established by Bishop Hollingsworth at the 2008 Diocesan Convention, the Commission on Global and Domestic Mission (CGDM) began its work by looking at the audit of Mission work being done through the parishes of this Diocese. There was an exciting list of activity already in place but our charge was to determine how best to distribute the 0.7% of Diocesan budgeted funds specifically for projects and programs which targeted one or more of the MDGs established by the United Nations (see below). Each year we have sought to continue that practice and, in 2010 to add domestic projects and programs to the work of the Commission while also exploring the possibility of creating and perhaps eventually establishing a Mission/Partnership Relationship with a Diocese in Africa and/or South America. We have been able to do these things by gaining grant monies to distribute from the Bishop's Annual Fund as well as those from the budget.
The Rev. Elizabeth (Beth) Frank, Vice-Chair
Ms. Lisa Roth, Vice-Chair
Mr. Bill Carter
Mr. Will Ezzell
Ms. Linda Heitger
Mr. Lee Kauffman
The Rev. Stephen Secaur
Ms. Barb Jones
Ms. Heather Nelson
The Rev. Margaret D'Anieri, Staff
Ms. Antoinette Taylor, Staff
Global and Domestic Mission Project Funding
2018 Grant Request for Mission Projects
From: The Commission on Global and Domestic Mission
Attached are the procedures by which your parish may request support for (A) Global Mission Initiatives to be funded in support of the Millennium Development Goals or the Sustainable Development Goals, and/or (B) Domestic Mission Initiatives. All Commission on Global & Domestic Mission (CGDM) projects are funded through the Diocesan Budget to support mission projects outside the Diocese.
The Commission on Global & Domestic Mission (CGDM) recommends to the Diocesan Council & Bishop Hollingsworth the projects to be funded. The Domestic Mission Grant Application must be completed no later than August 31, 2018. Global Mission grant monies will be awarded on a quarterly basis in 2018. CGDM must receive your completed Global Mission Grant Application no later than: March 31, June 30, September 30 and/or December 31, 2018. The attached pages make clear the initial information CGDM needs in order to make decisions about funding. If more information is needed, a CGDM member will get in touch with the parish contact person given in the Application.
CGDM anticipates that requests will be made by parishes on behalf of agencies or projects with which they have some active connection, either because of work they support with hands-on service by parish members or because of their own donations, whether in dollars or in-kind donations.
Download the 2018 CGDM Global (click here) or Domestic (click here) Grant Application
The following grants have been awarded to parishes for their work in global and/or domestic initiatives outside the Diocese of Ohio. Reports of effectiveness are attached as they are received.
2012 and Earlier
• Haitian student visitor program (Institution Univers)
• Rupel E. Marshall Nursery & Primary School in Liberia
• St. Francis Outreach Trust: Homes to Grow, Cape Town, South Africa
• Tanga/Ohio Health Partnership, Tanzania
• Holy Cross Anglican Primary School in San Pedro, Ambergris Cay Belize
• St. James, Painesville, homeless & needy feeding program
• St. James, Wooster: Obaatan Pa Women’s Hospital - Autoclave. Accra, Ghana in West Africa. Read report
• St. James, Wooster: Obaatan Pa Women’s Hospital – Fetal Monitoring Supplies. Accra, Ghana in West Africa. Read report
• Multiple parishes: Los Amigos Episcopalis - Reopening of the San Andres Apostol School in Amatepec de Soyapango, El Salvador. Read report
• St. Paul’s, Cleveland Hts.: CAMO - Provide educationally appropriate Spanish books for rural schools in Honduras. Read report
• Christ Church, Warren: Marifiki Global Aids Mission in Kenya - Children’s Center for AIDS orphans. Read report
• St. Timothy’s, Perrysburg: Outreach Center, Barnes Mt., Kentucky – Quilting, storytelling, relationship building between two dioceses. Report to come.
• St. Paul’s, Cleveland Hts.: CAMO - Provide educationally appropriate Spanish books for rural schools in Honduras. Report to come.
• Christ Church, Kent: St. Hilaire Episcopal School, Petit Riviere, Sud, Haiti
• St. Thomas, Berea: Los Amigos Episcopales
• St. Paul, Cleveland Heights: CAMO In Honduras
• St. Paul, Akron: CGDM Grant - Africa Education Partnership
Learn More about ways you and your parish can support these goals:
Tanga Project Updates
View this update presentation to learn what's going on with the Tanga Health Project and the Commission on Global and Domestic Mission (no special software needed, simply click on the link to be taken to the Prezi site)
CLICK HERE to view the update presentation.
In addition, the Tanga Project has a blog that will keep you posted on current developments. CLICK HERE to read it.
Diocesan Grant for Women's Hospital in Ghana - Update
In the summer of 2013, St. James, Wooster submitted a grant request on behalf of a Wayne County non-profit called “Serving Women in Ghana”. The organization, started by parishioners of St. James and now an outreach of the Parish as a whole, supports the Obaatan Pa Women’s Hospital, a non-profit hospital for women in Accra, Ghana in West Africa.
CLICK HERE to view photos and read an update.