Quick List of Funds Available through the Diocese of Ohio
Note: Most grants expect to cover at most 1/3rd the cost of the project, with funds coming from the parish and from individuals or ministry partners. Each of these has a grant application available from the contact person listed.
Capital Loans and Grants
- Support for parish capital improvement projects, excluding stained glass, organs, handicap accessibility, furnishings and portable equipment. Current practice is to begin funding consideration based on 1/3 parish contribution, 1/3 loan and 1/3 grant. Grant application deadline: Rolling deadline. GUIDELINES •CAPITAL ASSISTANCE APPLICATIONS (Fill-in) •(Word) •(Minimum Formatting) •(Plain Text)
- Ministry and Connection Grants help congregations initiate new programs to build their size and vitality by reaching out to new members. Grant application deadline: Rolling deadline. APPLICATION
- Adult Faith Formation Grants provide startup and some ongoing support of programs like mid-life spirituality groups, senior groups, or weekend retreats. Maximum award is $750. Grant application deadline: Rolling deadline. APPLICATION
Clergy and Lay Professionals
- Continuing Education grants are available for the upgrading or broadening of knowledge or skills that directly apply to the applicant’s work in the Diocese. Grant application deadline: March 1, June 1, Sept. 31, December 1 APPLICATION
Lay Continuing Education Grants
Mission work outside the Diocese of Ohio
- Grants help pay for training or continuing education in areas that build the life of the congregation and/or the diocese. Rolling application; grants generally up to $500 to cover 1/3 of the program. Grant application deadline: Rolling deadline. APPLICATION
Note: We are currently undertaking a strategic and teological review of our grants criteria and processs, and so there is a momoratorium on accepting grant applications at this time. Please contact Canon Margaret D’Anieri if you have thoughts or input into this process.
The Commission on Global and Domestic Mission (CGDM) provides grants in three categories, all requiring the involvement of parishes:
- Belize and Tanga relationships: These are our two Diocesan partnerships, and so as to promote coordinated efforts, those interested in Tanga and Belize should be in touch with a member of CGDM.
- Global Mission grants support parish mission efforts in other places outside the US with which a parish in the Diocese has a relationship, and that address one of the 17 Sustainable Development Goals. Recent grants have funded work in Haiti, Nigeria, Honduras and El Salvador. Grant application deadline: March 31, June 30, Sept. 30, Dec. 3. Apply for a global mission grant.
- Domestic Mission grants support parish mission efforts in other parts of the US. Grant application deadline: August 31. Apply for a domestic mission grant.
Episcopal Community Services (ECS) and Church Home Grants: The Episcopal Community Services Development Council evaluates and provides grant funding in support of parish-based projects that address education, hunger, homelessness and health, with a particular emphasis on projects that address systemic issues. This includes grants funded by the Church Home endowment that serve the elderly. Funds for 2021 grants will be limited, and therefore we will be giving priority to parish programs over community programs; note that there is one combined application (Episcopal Community Services and Church Home grant application), and that the form is now filled out online here: APPLICATION Deadline for grant submission has ended. If your 2021 grant is approved, you'll receive funding in February 2021.
- We are not posting applications for summer mission trips and summer youth programs given the implications of COVID-19 for these, but please contact Margaret D'Anieri directly if you have ideas for summer 2021 that may require funding.
- College Ministry Grants are used for start up and some ongoing support of parish-based ministries geared to college students. Grant application deadline is July 31.