Director of Music or Director of Music/Organist Ministry
- In consultation with the Priest, organize service music around the cycle of the church calendar, feast/festival days, and other special events. Select each week’s music (including hymns, an anthem, service music, and as appropriate, psalm and canticle settings) to reinforce the spiritual lives of congregants in a parish that very strongly loves music, singing, and a variety of musical traditions.
· The Director of Music will either be an accomplished organist who plays during the year-round services, or he/she will supervise the organist, providing a nurturing yet professional environment for him/her.
- During the Senior Choir Season, which runs from Rally Sunday (the Sunday after Labor Day in September) to Trinity Sunday (varying from the end of May to the end of June), oversee all aspects of the Senior and Youth Choirs:
- Welcome, recruit and train new Adult Choir members, of all ages and musical abilities, while supporting more experienced choristers. The choir currently consists of about 20 volunteer members with 4 compensated section leaders.
- Plan and conduct weekly rehearsals, currently on Thursdays from 7-9pm.
- Direct the senior choir during the 9:45am service, providing the comprehensive music outlined above, usually accompanied by organ or piano. Encourage parishioners to join in singing the hymns, and, more broadly, to develop their various musical talents for possible participation in special liturgical occasions.
- Plan and provide music with the Senior Choir for additional services throughout the year such as Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Lessons and Carols, and Christmas Eve. Other special music events are optional, depending on the interests of the candidate.
- Recruit section leaders, submit semi-monthly report of hours for payroll.
- Procure instrumental and/or vocal soloists for Christmas Eve, Easter, and other special occasions.
- Purchase music and supplies; supervise the music library.
- Maintain all vestments as needed.
- Welcome, recruit and train new Youth Choir members, providing a well-structured and warm environment for the Youth Choir ministry. The Youth Choir, grades 3-12, currently rehearses certain Sundays following the 9:45am service and sings on predetermined high feast days.
- Coordinate with the director of the Christmas pageant on Christmas Eve to provide important musical support for this youth event.
· During the summer, the 9:45 A.M service has organ and/or piano music to accompany parishioner singing, with occasional soloists. Arrange for brass quintet during Memorial Garden service in late August.
· Attend weekly staff meetings, as well as other committee meetings as necessary. Provide monthly music program updates to the Vestry as well as monthly newsletter articles when applicable.
· Provide additional music for weddings and funerals, in consultation with Priest.
- Schedule and oversee maintenance of our two-manual Wilhelm tracker organ and pianos (a Yamaha grand piano and various spinet pianos).
Our ideal Director of Music has a Master’s Degree in music, at least 3 years’ experience conducting a choir, and a deep familiarity with the Episcopal Liturgy and its various hymnals. If director is also our organist
, the director has a deep familiarity with the organ repertoire and the talent and sensitivity needed to play our tracker organ well.
A Bachelor’s Degree in music with at least 2 years’ experience in choral conducting.
The Director of Music Ministry reports to the Priest in Charge. Absent a Priest-in-Charge, the Director reports to the senior warden (the highest ranking lay leader).
The Director of Music Ministry is a part-time position which currently includes benefits of vacation time, paid time for continuing education, pro-rated pension payments, and payments toward health insurance. Compensation is negotiable and commensurate with education and experience.
Please send a cover letter and resume to:
Music Director Search Committee
St. Michael’s in the Hills Episcopal Church
4718 Brittany Rd.
Toledo, Ohio 43615
Alternatively, these two items can be sent electronically to email@example.com
About St. Michaels in the Hills:
We are members of a church that grew from English Christianity, and we are
from metro Toledo and southeast Michigan. We hold the early church’s faith, based on
the Bible and expressed in the creeds, and we live out this faith in the modern world. Our
worship is warm, yet dignified, relying upon the riches of the Book of Common Prayer
and rooted in the Sacraments and the Word. We cherish the Christian tradition and its
essentials. We value the intellect and welcome questions and skepticism. We celebrate
the depth and diversity of the Christian experience. We are open to all who seek God and
we believe the Spirit leads us into all truth. Our mission is to Love, Learn, and Serve in
Christ’s Name. There is a place among us for anyone who wants to join in this
pilgrimage of the Spirit. www.lovelearnserve.org
In an article dated July 5, 2018, Jamie Birdwell for Livability writes: “Looking for an affordable,
welcoming city that’s packed with culture and opportunity? Check out Toledo (and thank us later)” https://livability.com/oh/toledo/real-estate/5-reasons-millennials-should-give-toledo-oh-a-second-look